In order to help treat hair loss, the first thing to do is to go see a doctor. When you have you first consultation, your doctor will ask several questions and run a few tests to see exactly what caused your hair loss so he or she can figure out the best treatment for you.
Some of the questions that your doctor may ask are:
· When did your hair first start falling out?
· Has it been coming out quickly?
· Do you have any other symptoms, such as burning, itching, or tingling?
· Are you on any medication?
· Do you have any other illnesses?
· What drugs have you been taking in the past 4 months?
After going through these questions, your doctor will examine your scalp and run a few tests. These tests include: thyroid function tests, hair shaft exams to look at the shape, length, and how fragile your hair is, a biopsy, hormone tests, and a pull test (gently pulling on about 50 hairs to see how many of them come out).
By going through these various questions and running some tests, your doctor will have a better idea as to what caused your hair loss to occur. From there, he or she will be able to decide what your next step should be.